Laser Hair Removal
Also known as light based hair removal and laser hair reduction
Laser hair removal is a convenient, noninvasive method for permanently reducing or removing unwanted facial or body hair. It leaves the skin looking smoother and silkier than waxing, electrolysis or razors and is a gentle technique that can treat larger areas effectively with minimal discomfort and with no downtime. Today, laser hair removal is one of the most common aesthetic procedures performed in the United States.
When to Consider Laser Hair Removal
- If you have unwanted facial or body hair that makes you feel self-conscious or limits your ability to wear certain clothing
- If you have dark hair and light skin
- If you are looking for an alternative to waxing, electrolysis, shaving and bleaching
- Both large and small areas of the body are effectively treated
- May make skin color and complexion more uniform
- Most patients have permanent hair loss after an average of 3 to 8 sessions
- Multiple treatments are usually required to produce satisfactory results
- Patients with darker skin may not respond well due to inadequate discrepancy between skin and hair colors
- Blonde or gray/white hair is less responsive due to lack of ample pigment in the hair
These are the top three pros and cons to weigh when considering laser hair removal. If you want to focus on what is unique to you, please consult with your aesthetic plastic surgeon.
Are you a good candidate for a laser hair removal?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider laser hair removal:
- You have unwanted facial or body hair that makes you feel self-conscious
- You are looking for an alternative to waxing, electrolysis, shaving and bleaching
- You have dark hair and light skin
Darker hairs will absorb more of the laser light and lighter skin allows more transmission of the laser light into the hair follicle. Age, ethnicity, medication, hormone levels and body area affect the length, coarseness and color of body hair, which in turn will influence the results of any cosmetic laser treatment.
- Laser hair removal is safe for all parts of the body, including the face, but a protective eye cover is usually used.
- Permanently removing or reducing hair on the legs can save time, money and aggravation on shaving and waxing.
**Content taken from www.smartbeautyguide.com